Last Posted: Jan 12, 2021
- How COVID unlocked the power of RNA vaccines
The technology could revolutionize efforts to immunize against HIV, malaria, influenza and more.
E Dolgin, Nature News, January 12, 2021
- Prevalence of sickle cell disorders and malaria infection in children aged 1-12 years in the Volta Region, Ghana: a community-based study.
Oppong Mavis et al. Malaria journal 2020 Nov 19(1) 426
- A novel deep learning-based point-of-care diagnostic method for detecting Plasmodium falciparum with fluorescence digital microscopy.
Holmström Oscar et al. PloS one 2020 15(11) e0242355
- Malaria Screener: a smartphone application for automated malaria screening.
Yu Hang et al. BMC infectious diseases 2020 Nov 20(1) 825
- Recent evolutions of machine learning applications in clinical laboratory medicine.
De Bruyne Sander et al. Critical reviews in clinical laboratory sciences 2020 Oct 1-22
- Analyzing Malaria Disease Using Effective Deep Learning Approach.
Sriporn Krit et al. Diagnostics (Basel, Switzerland) 2020 Sep 10(10)
- Genomic Approaches to Drug Resistance in Malaria.
Rocamora Frances et al. Annual review of microbiology 2020 Sep 74761-786
- Convolutional neural networks to automate the screening of malaria in low-resource countries.
Zhao Oliver S et al. PeerJ 2020 8e9674
- Leveraging big data for public health: Mapping malaria vector suitability in Malawi with Google Earth Engine.
Frake April N et al. PloS one 2020 15(8) e0235697
- Optimizing G6PD testing for Plasmodium vivax case management: why sex, counseling, and community engagement matter.
Chu Cindy S et al. Wellcome open research 2020 521
- Molecular malaria surveillance using a novel protocol for extraction and analysis of nucleic acids retained on used rapid diagnostic tests
EA Guirou et al, Scientific Reports, July 23, 2020
- Epidemiological big data and analytical tools applied in the control programmes on parasitic diseases in China: NIPD's sustained contributions in 70 years.
Xia Shang et al. Advances in parasitology 2020 110319-347
- An Analysis of Racial and Ethnic Backgrounds Within the CASiRe International Cohort of Sickle Cell Disease Patients: Implications for Disease Phenotype and Clinical Research.
Campbell Andrew D et al. Journal of racial and ethnic health disparities 2020 May
- Genetics of inherited cardiomyopathies in Africa.
Shaboodien Gasnat et al. Cardiovascular diagnosis and therapy 2020 Apr 10(2) 262-278
- Artificial intelligence and the future of global health.
Schwalbe Nina et al. Lancet (London, England) 2020 395(10236) 1579-1586
- A Scoping Review of Spatial Analysis Approaches Using Health Survey Data in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Manda Samuel et al. International journal of environmental research and public health 2020 Apr 17(9)
- Expert-Level Automated Malaria Diagnosis on Routine Blood Films with Deep Neural Networks.
Manescu Petru et al. American journal of hematology 2020 Apr
- WHO launches global megatrial of the four most promising coronavirus treatments
Science Magazine, March 22, 2020
- Assessment of Expert-Level Automated Detection of Plasmodium falciparum in Digitized Thin Blood Smear Images
PC Kuo et al, JAMA Network Open, March 2, 2020
- Beyond the Data Podcast, CDC Public Health Grand Rounds
CDC, January 2020
Rare Disease PHGKB is an online, continuously updated, searchable database of published scientific literature, CDC and NIH resources, and other information that address the public health impact and translation of genomic and other precision health discoveries into improved health outcomes related to rare diseases...more
- CDC Information (10)
- NIH Information (5)
- COVID-19 (90)
- CDC Publications (100)
- Human Genome Epidemiologic Studies (658)
- GWAS Studies (15)
- Human Genomics Translation/Implementation Studies (22)
- Genomic Tests Evidence Synthesis (3)
- Non-Genomics Precision Health (15)
- Pathogen Advanced Molecular Detection (351)
- Reviews/Commentaries (27)
- Tools/Methods (1)
Selected Rare Diseases
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Brugada Syndrome
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Erythema Multiforme
- Familial Mediterranean Fever
- Fragile X Syndrome
- Gaucher Disease
- Graves Disease
- Huntington Disease
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency
Disclaimer: Articles listed in the Public Health Knowledge Base are selected by the CDC Office of Public Health Genomics to provide current awareness of the literature and news. Inclusion in the update does not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention nor does it imply endorsement of the article's methods or findings. CDC and DHHS assume no responsibility for the factual accuracy of the items presented. The selection, omission, or content of items does not imply any endorsement or other position taken by CDC or DHHS. Opinion, findings and conclusions expressed by the original authors of items included in the update, or persons quoted therein, are strictly their own and are in no way meant to represent the opinion or views of CDC or DHHS. References to publications, news sources, and non-CDC Websites are provided solely for informational purposes and do not imply endorsement by CDC or DHHS.